Adventures of a Bipolar Mom

 

The Calm Before The Storm, The Mood Storm That Is |I had a really good weekend. Yesterday I crashed. I felt like I was coming completely undone. I guess I was suffering from some sort of overload because today I feel okay again. It’s so crazy. Easter is always a big deal in our Christian family. We always get together and have a blast. This Easter wasn’t so bad for me either. Saturday my brother and his wife and children came over to dye eggs with our kids. It was a lot of fun, the kids had a blast. We all enjoyed ourselves. I didn’t feel violated or overwhelmed either, which was very nice. It was my brother though and I am pretty sure that made a difference. Easter Sunday we had a house full of my family. I was so busy that I didn’t have time to stop and panic over the crowd here. When I say a house full, I mean a house full! My brother and his family came back over, my Grandmother and her “friend” (chuckle) were in from out of town, an aunt I don’t see often joined us as well with my cousin that I haven’t seen in several years. I finally got to meet his wife and his beautiful little girl. I hadn’t seen his son since he was an infant, and he is now seven. Wow. I feel like I’ve been hiding under a rock. Getting ready for everyone to come wasn’t too hard on me. Usually I fall apart when the pressure starts but Sunday I handled it surprisingly well. I had a few “moments” but my oldest was a big help. He called himself my “assistant” as he proudly helped me get everything together. Even my 7 and 5 year old kids pitched in and helped too. The music was playing, the windows were open, and it was so nice. I felt great. Most of our events were outside, so I didn’t really have to deal with a large crowd of people in my house very much. When everyone was inside I did start to feel suffocated and I just headed right back outside where I could breathe again. All the kids had fun. I had a moment of weakness remembering my cousin who we lost when I was 17. Standing with my cousin who was there, it just felt like something was missing. It was her. Our little girls were on the trampoline having a blast, but there were only two. It really felt like I had this big huge void in my heart where she should have been with her kids. I got quite emotional over it, but I managed to pull myself back together. I asked my cousin if he thought of her often, and he does. It was the three of us growing up, we were all born within a 6 month time and we grew up very close. After losing her I separated a little from that side of the family. It was never the same for me and it hurt so much. He and I took a moment to remember the cousin we lost, and to love her. It felt kind of good knowing that there was another family member who could share that grief with me. I really miss her. By the time everyone had left I was wiped out. I was mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. I sat down and didn’t want to get back up. I was proud of myself, I had so many people here and I did pretty okay. I felt a confidence I had never felt before. It was like I could breathe without panic again. Even though it was family, I was able to host a huge event and didn’t ever really completely lose it. Even after they were gone, I still didn’t lose it. Until the next day. Last night, I think I just reached an ultimate emotional overload because I started to crumble. My husband had a concert to go to and I was left with the kids. My patience ran out, I was irritable and frustrated. I was angry and hostile, without a good reason. When bedtime came my kids started carrying on (like always) and I just snapped. I stormed upstairs and yelled at them and told them that I was not going to tolerate any nonsense and just this one night they were going to listen to me if they did nothing else! I scared the crap out of them. I work so hard to keep the ugly side of me from them, but I had just lost it! The little ones don’t need to be subjected to my awful moods and I know that! How could I do this? I came downstairs, started crying because I was so ashamed at how I had yelled at them that I couldn’t take it anymore. I marched right back upstairs, hugged them tightly and apologized for my behavior. I explained to them how I felt, that I was tired and grumpy just like them. We all hugged and kissed, my kids told me to go to bed too so that I will feel better. They handed out the same advice I do to them. Such sweet little buggers. I wish I could undo that one single moment, but I can’t. However, I did try to get them to understand the moment that I had. They seemed pretty understanding, but man I really do hope that doesn’t happen again. All that pride I felt over keeping it together for such a busy family filled weekend went right out the window. As quickly as I fell apart the following day I realized one thing: I am still not quite ready for so much chaos. Certainly not two full days in a row. So now I have a new goal. Handle people here and make it through the following days as well. This morning I am doing better and feeling better. I hope this calm lasts because yesterday was just terrible.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Bipolar II. I have two children and I've had my share of "losing it" and having to apologise afterwards. Don't be too hard on yourself. We're all just doing the best we can.

Strength and Serenity Headline Animator

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author